Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

How to Save Your Cydia packages from iPhone to PC, to restore them after Restore

Hello Cydia Forum members. I thought I would make a very simple tut today on how to save your Cydia packages to your computer. Very simple

What you will need:

Jailbroken iPhone
    Mac or PC
    i-FunBox (or any other SSH tool. Preferably a USB SSH tool. I recommend i-FunBox, iSpirit, or iTools)

Okay. When Cydia installs a package the package is extracted from a deb file and installed on your phone. The deb file is then placed in an archive folder where it will be deleted automatically. In order to save this deb file we need to have access to the phone raw file system during installation of the deb. You do this by installing a deb package while your device is plugged into your computer with a USB SSH tool.

Here is the step by step guide using i-FunBox:

1) Plug iPhone into computer

2) Open i-FunBox

3) Click on "Raw File System", then navigate to var/cache/apt/archives

4) On your device, open Cydia, and tap Manage> Packages

5) Locate the package you want to save to your computer

6) By tapping the Modify button in the top right corner of the packages info page, reinstall the package, (BUT DO NOT TAP THE "RESTART SPRINGBOARD", REBOOT DEVICE", OR "RETURN TO CYDIA" BUTTON). Just leave the phone be after installation.

7) Now on your computer with i-FunBox open, Click the "Refresh" button a couple times, and the deb file will show in the archives folder.

8) Simply drag and drop the deb file into a folder on your desktop.

Please note that you can install multiple packages from Cydia at one time via the "Queuing" feature Cydia has. Just tap "continue queuing" and go to the next package and keep tapping "continue queuing" til you have what you want, then press confirm and they will all install at once.

I recommend you only do this with a few packages at a time. The more packages you install at once, the heavier the download is, and could take a while to reinstall the packages if you chose too many to reinstall at one time.

I also recommend that every time you drag a deb from the archives folder that you delete them after you transfer the debs, so the clutter does not confuse you....Plus it is just easier.

When all your packages are saved you can install them at one time after a restore. Just install Mobile Substrate(if you didn't transfer that deb), then drag and drop the debs into var/root/media/Cydia/Autoinstall and reboot your phone.

If you plan to do this please make sure that you are also saving the dependencies certain packages have, like iFile, SBSettings, and WinterBoard.

Another way to install these debs after a restore and jailbreak is with iFile.

Just drag and drop the whole folder of debs somewhere safe in your iPhones file system (like the "Volumes" folder) and you can install those debs with iFile

Just install iFile from Cydia, then Mobile Substrate(which always must be installed first. You can install iFile first because iFile is not a Mobile Substrate addon, but 99% of tweaks you would save will be. There for you should back up the Mobile Substrate deb too, or install it through Cydia before installing your debs) then open iFile, locate where you stored the debs, tap on any one of those debs, then tap "Installer" and respring. I use Mobile Terminal to respring since I usually don't have any tweaks to respring with at this point, but you can always reboot. I will usually install 3 or 4 tweaks with iFile, then I will reboot/respring.

Its also nice to have these debs saved on your computer because you can email them to friends, upload them to your Dropbox, etc, or just use them to reinstall a tweak with iFile to avoid using data that Cydia would use from downloading the deb from the repos;)

Hope someone enjoyed this

-Z!G
    Last edited by Z!G9449; 04-29-2012 at 11:58 PM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~32GB iPhone 4 (CDMA) - iOS 5.1.1 - Absinthe 2.0~~~~~~~8GB iPod Touch 4G - iOS 5.0.1 - Redsn0w 0.9.11b4~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Advertising
      Register
      For Less
      Advertisements

Noob
    I am a newbie with tweaks, and now I guess I'm getting addicted. I used evasi0n-win-1.4 to jailbreak my iPhone 4S to iOS 6.1.2. I was searching for ways how to backup my deb files and I found this to be the best and most comfortable for me being novice.

Anyway, in reference to your list of which I quoted, please help me on some naive queries.

Quote Originally Posted by Z!G9449 View Post
    3) Click on "Raw File System", then navigate to var/cache/apt/archives
    8) Simply drag and drop the deb file into a folder on your desktop.
    Question:
    1.) After dragging the deb files, is it safe to delete/erase whatever is in the /archives?
    2.) In my case, there is a /partial folder under /archive. Into it are *deb.FAILED files. Can the files and/or folder be as well safe if deleted?

Thank you.

I just have no idea about this thing.. Will let other members get in here

•