Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What is DFU Mode and How to Put Your iDevice in DFU mode

What is DFU Mode and How to Put Your iDevice in DFU mode

What is DFU Mode ?

Device Firmware Update (DFU) mode is a special {safe mode} which Apple has built into all of their devices so that they can restored to a stock iOS firmware regardless of the state they may be in. It is implemented at a lower level than the normal recovery mode, which shows the "connect to iTunes cable" graphic on the screen of the iPhone. DFU mode by contrast has a completely blank screen so there is no way to tell you are in DFU mode by looking at the device

When to Use DFU Mode ?
    • If you have to upgrade or restore a jailbroken iPhone
    • If you have to downgrade iOS using SHSH Blobs
    • If iOS becomes corrupt or stuck in a loop for whatever reason
    • During the jailbreak process to enable a pwnd DFU state and then apply the payload
    How to Activate DFU mode ?

In order to put your device into DFU mode, make sure iDevice connected to a power source (USB or mains) and turned off. Now Perform the Following
    1. Press the "home" and "power" buttons together for EXACTLY 10 seconds
    2. At this Point release "power" but continue to hold "home".
    3. After about 15 seconds, the device will enter DFU mode.
    Now If you see the Apple logo, the "connect to iTunes" graphic,It means you are not in DFU mode and If you see Full Blank Screen and computer detects your phone that means you are in DFU mode

Getting Out Of DFU Mode

To Exit the DFU mode perform the following

Press the "home" and "power" buttons together until you see the apple logo

Mac likes this.

• Advertising
      Register
      For Less
      Advertisements

Very Informative Post Admin.... I would be nice if you sticky it

You should also put a guide in here on how to enter PWNED DFU mode. I have givin people directions on restoring to custom ipsw's, and i tell them they must enter PWNED DFU mode, or it will not work..................Then they start saying they could not get it to work, when in fact, all they did did was enter regular DFU mode and not PWNED DFU mode, becuase they did not realize that there is quite a difference between the two modes.lol Just a suggestion. Ill write the guide if ya want. Just dont know to put it in this thread or start a whole different tutorial thread. I know what I would do, but it's really up to you.

I would keep it separate and have it's own guide in the tutorials section. That way people see that there is definitely a difference between the 2 modes. Ya know?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~32GB iPhone 4 (CDMA) - iOS 5.1.1 - Absinthe 2.0~~~~~~~8GB iPod Touch 4G - iOS 5.0.1 - Redsn0w 0.9.11b4~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A very informative post. Well done Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by Z!G9449 View Post
    You should also put a guide in here on how to enter PWNED DFU mode. I have givin people directions on restoring to custom ipsw's, and i tell them they must enter PWNED DFU mode, or it will not work..................Then they start saying they could not get it to work, when in fact, all they did did was enter regular DFU mode and not PWNED DFU mode, becuase they did not realize that there is quite a difference between the two modes.lol Just a suggestion. Ill write the guide if ya want. Just dont know to put it in this thread or start a whole different tutorial thread. I know what I would do, but it's really up to you.

I would keep it separate and have it's own guide in the tutorials section. That way people see that there is definitely a difference between the 2 modes. Ya know?
    I might sound noob but I dont know what is pwned DFU. Can you please post about it in a new thread

Btw.. Its your forum do whatever you like

Mac
    Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I might sound noob but I dont know what is pwned DFU. Can you please post about it in a new thread

Btw.. Its your forum do whatever you like
    Same here I have no idea about pwned DFU

Eagerly waiting for your post

The only way one can enter PWNED DFU mode is if the Limerain exploit is injected into the device during the end of the DFU process. The only way to do this is to use a tool called iREB.

The whole point of PWNED DFU mode is to allow iTunes to install unsigned ipsw's. This cannot be done with regular DFU mode, or recovery mode.

The devices DFU state must be hack...(hence the name PWNED DFU mode) to install unsigned ipsw's or what most people would call "custom ipsw's".

Using Sn0wbreeze to jailbreak requires you to enter PWNED DFU mode to restore to the custom Sn0wbreeze ipsw. If did not run iREB to enter PWNED DFU mode, then the installation of the ipsw would fail.
    Last edited by Z!G9449; 02-17-2012 at 06:54 AM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~32GB iPhone 4 (CDMA) - iOS 5.1.1 - Absinthe 2.0~~~~~~~8GB iPod Touch 4G - iOS 5.0.1 - Redsn0w 0.9.11b4~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waiting for the tutorial in new topic

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Waiting for the tutorial in new topic
    Lol. Sorry. I'll post it here on my lunch break.

I wrote out the tutorial twice, and right at the end each time, the Tapatalk app crashed. :/ obviously not saving the entire tutorials I wrote.

Really bummed me out.lol. But it'll be up in a few hours. The procedure is pretty different, and pretty much the same thing...........except not.lol.

Noob
    Once I was jailbreaking my iPhone 3GS through redSnow... During the DFU mode the screen started blinking several times. Then I stopped the process and gave it to my cousin. Was it normal or was there something fishy? Please help so that I may take it back from my cousin ;)

•   

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast